Generally speaking, taxpayers should never try and represent themselves before the IRS. It’s best to hire a professional (Enrolled Agent, CPA or Attorney) with tax representation knowledge and experience to represent you. They are trained in IRS process and procedure and will ensure that you make use of all your taxpayer rights.

My firm, By The Book Taxes, located in Norwalk, CT specializes in income tax preparation for individuals, families and self-employed people. By The Book Taxes represents clients before the IRS and state taxing authorities to help them resolve their tax debts by preparing and filing Installment Payment Agreements, Offers-in-Compromise, Currently Not Collectible and Innocent or Injured Spouse applications. By The Book Taxes also represents clients in 1040 examinations or audits.

The ten (10) biggest mistakes taxpayers make are:

  1. Automatically filing a joint (MFJ) return if married
  2. Non-filers filing more than the last six (6) years of tax returns
  3. Thinking that the tax return that the IRS creates for you (called an SFR or “Substitute for Return”) if you haven’t filed in a while requires you to file an actual return
  4. Not opening the mail you get from the IRS
  5. Not requesting a “Collections Due Process” (CDP) Appeals hearing
  6. Not securing a loan from a family member with a lien and repayment plan
  7. Not liquidating assets to pay current taxes to get into “compliance” for an “Offer-in-Compromise” or reduced monthly payment agreement
  8. Paying the oldest tax year(s) balances first
  9. Not paying your current year (estimated) taxes first
  10. Trying to deal with the IRS by yourself